HySSIL™ is an aerated cement-based product that is as strong as normal concrete but is only half as heavy. It provides up to five times the thermal insulation of concrete and is also impact and fire resistant.
HySSIL™ stands for High-Strength, Structural, Insulative, Lightweight. It is considered to have a number of advantages over existing wall building products such as precast concrete, aerated autoclaved products, clay bricks and masonry blocks. The material used for the HySSIL™ process creates a cellular honeycomb structure inside the panel, compared with normal precast concrete that forms a solid structure using aggregate and stone.
HySSIL™ Pty Ltd holds the worldwide, exclusive licence from the CSIRO for use of the technology for building applications.
- HySSIL: new material for light buildings, 2007 (Achievement)
- Building blocks of the future, 2006 (Audio)
- New high-tech concrete is lighter, stronger & green, 2004 (Media Release)
- Building Materials: Concrete Cast in a New Light, 2005 (Article - Solve)
- HySSIL™ Pty Ltd [external link]
- ABC Radio Australia Innovations: New Lightweight Concrete – Hyssil, Broadcast 1 August 2004 [external link]